ONE HAPPY Land Owner !!

ONE HAPPY Land Owner !!
Forever Weekend Farm Sunset

Thursday, May 19, 2011

The Baby Owls are Born!

This morning I was sitting on the porch with my coffee and Dingo when I noticed Ma & Pa Owl taking turns flying to their tree and then back out to hunt. Back and forth they would fly to the tree stick their heads in the nesting hole and fly off. It was dawn so the light was not good, but I grabbed my binoculars. Sure enough, I saw a set of large black pupils framed in yellow peering out of the dark hole. And then a whole head appeared. Or was it two heads. I watched as a whole face came out of the hole anticipating the next parental flight in with more breakfast.  I grabbed my camera and quietly slipped out to sit on the deck. It was hard to focus so I just began snapping hoping I had enough light to capture this spring scene that never fails to awe me. 


Pupils

Waiting patiently for Ma to bring another tree frog


Look carefully as Competition Emerges



Double Anticipation




Patience


I'm just a little Tennis Ball Head

Whoooo you looking at?????


Ma & Pa will be back any minute


OK, stranger if you don't have a frog or lizard, back off!

OK, now you really are scaring me.

Alright, come any closer and I'm telling my Ma!


The first few photos were a bit dark so I had to use Photo Shop to light them. As the sun came up it was easier to focus and the pictures were clear. Seeing these babies made my day! It makes going to work so much easier-I almost felt like handing out cigars! The mother and father are the size of a kitten. The babies are just a bit smaller and covered in fuzz much like texture of a shaggy tennis ball. The mother and father watched me from up high perched on palm boots. I was able to focus the camera on Pa and then lighten and sharpen contrast in Photo Shop.



More pictures coming soon. I hope to capture photos of the parents teaching these babies to fly.

1 comment:

  1. Absolutely amazing photos!!! love the blog. Whenever we have internet i check your blog for a glimpse of home. Love you and miss you. Keep the posts coming! Love to everyone on the farm!

    ReplyDelete