ONE HAPPY Land Owner !!

ONE HAPPY Land Owner !!
Forever Weekend Farm Sunset

Friday, May 18, 2012

The Charm of Bocas

Buenos Dias!!
Since two of the three chicklets went home my days have focused on Elwood and helping Conor and Megs get organized for their trip back to Florida. This was a lot of work for them and great for me as I spent my days enjoying Elwood. El and I sat together under a fan watching his parents whirlwind around us as they set up vet appointments, VW van shipping and customs appointments, baby USA passport appointments, and then storing and sorting and running stuff to put on Gualby--all these appointments are done in Spanish and by water taxi or bicycle. We have managed to squeeze in some sightseeing and I have beautiful pictures to post. Last July Conor and Megs sailed into Bocas and fell in love with its relaxing atmosphere and its funky, romantic charm. It's where they found out they were pregnant with Elwood. I know they could not wait for me to experience Bocas and sip a drink at one of the many rustic bars overlooking  turquoise waters.
So it was disappointing to all of us when we rented the Blue House sight unseen. It was like coming into Bocas by the back door in an area where the people are living in the poorest of living conditions. It has been an adjustment to, in the Carribean heat, walk through trashy yards where my neighbors seem to turn a blind eye to the sewage and garbage.
But Conor and Megs made sure that they showed me the Bocas they love. The beautiful pristine beaches, colorful characters enjoying the simple pace, the acres of dense foliage on Isla Bastimentos, and the miles of deserted coastlines. I think they worry I may let the Blue House and our rocky trek to the main road overshadow all the beauty that they have come to love.
 It won't.
What I love most about this place is the people,--- especially my neighbors.
They are happy.
Every afternoon the music starts playing from houses smaller than a horse stall and you can't help but smile. Everyday when I walk the jagged rocky path to the beach the mothers, fathers, and children greet me, and I love saying, "Buenos Dias"! It just sounds happy!
I love sharing my drink with geckos, having a morning beer, finding sea glass on the beach, seeing horses walk freely around the outskirts of town, watching skinny dogs guard their downtown corner, eating papaya for breakfast, drinking martinis at the sushi bar, shopping at Tony's market, watching my neighbors do laundry, and listening to latin boho music---
And most of all getting Elwood smiles.
So I will be back, Bocas ........just not in the Blue House in your hottest month of the year!


One of the Bocas del Toro Beaches



The property on Isla Bastimentos
 (Con and Meg are looking at a 1/2 acre piece of this)

Hammock Time on Isla Bastimentos
A view looking out from property near the piece 
Con and Meg are looking at buying. 

Another view from property
Con and Megs are looking to buy.
My neighbors motor broke down
and they had to row home.
No Problema! Still Happy!

Mother's Day and martinis at the Sushi Place

Mother's Day downtown Bocas
Three coco chicklets
My neighbors coming home
from a day cutting plantains

This boat is carved out of a tree-a very large tree










Adios!


No comments:

Post a Comment